Monday, December 21, 2009

My girls....

Many people who don't know me well enough often get confused when I talk about "my girls." My cubicle at work is covered with various snapshots of their life - from their baby pictures to the latest princess tea party. I share endless "proud mom" stories about how they've learned this or that or what we did last weekend. I take time out of my day to talk to each of them when they they call to sing me the newest song they've learned, cry about their latest bump and bruise or just feel like saying hi. I can see how some would easily mistake me for their mother when I wipe their little noses and hands or when I call to them from across the playground to gently remind them to play nice. Maddie and Sophia aren't my daughters - they are my nieces - but I love and care for them as if they were.

Things haven't always been easy for them but it never fails to amaze me just how resilient these little girls are. The things they've seen and heard as 3 and 5 year olds is more than any child should have to witness in a lifetime. It breaks my heart to see it on their faces - to realize that they look older than their age because they've had to grow up faster - and the "mother bear" in me jumps to life when I hear of situations they shouldn't have been a part of. It's a difficult situation sometimes but I love my brother and he does everything he can to raise these girls on his own. He knows that he and Erica had kids too young and that they weren't ready for the responsibility but some realizations come far too late to avoid the consequences. Thankfully my family is strong and supportive and together we raise these girls - jumping in and filling the parental roles needed when the others can't. In the darkest moments Dave and I even offered to adopt the girls - we don't have much but we would have found a way.

Despite these situations they are two of the most loving, friendly and well-mannered kids I know. They are very social girls and have no trouble making friends on the playground and in day camp but most often they are content to play with each other. They have their occasional sisterly squabble but they are vastly outnumbered by the times that I've seen them come to each other's rescue in times of need.

Even the impact they've made on Dave melts my heart - the smile stretches across his face as they run and jump into his arms yelling, "Uncle Dave, Uncle Dave." They talk over each other trying to tell him every story and ask every question all at once. He is putty in their hands allowing them to dress him up with all their jewelry and climb all over him like a jungle gym. He relishes the "dad" role - helping to teach them to swim and going on explorations to find hummingbird nests. He is fiercely protective of them and I know from watching the three of them together that he will make an amazing father when the time is right.

These girls have stolen our hearts and I may not have given birth to Maddie and Sophia but they will always be "my girls."


1 comment:

  1. That are SUPER FUN!!!! I miss them!!!!! I just want to squeeze there cheeks!!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete